♥ Step-by-Step Pansy Brooch: A Playful and Joyful 3D Embroidery Tutorial with Crocheted Flowers!

If you're skilled in crocheting and looking for a creative way to utilize your talent in a different field, you might love the idea of applying your crocheting prowess to create 3D embroidered brooches.


 In today's tutorial, I want to try something different. I will create a charming brooch with a 3D embroidered look by stitching tiny crocheted flowers onto fabric. 
To be honest, I'm not very skilled in crocheting, but that won't be an issue for our project. The crocheted pansies used in my project were lovingly made by my talented sister, who came to the rescue and saved the day with her creative prowess. 

The pansies she crafted are both simple and adorable, making them a perfect fit for our brooch.
 I will be crafting this delightful brooch by stitching these tiny crocheted flowers onto fabric, creating a lovely composition with a 3D embroidered appearance. 
 I'm confident that you can easily create these lovely flowers too.
 In the tutorial, I'll show you how to use simple embroidery stitches to include these flowers in my project. So, the crocheting part is up to you; I'm assuming you have sufficient knowledge in crocheting.  
Now, let's talk about how I'll incorporate these crocheted flowers into the design. Let's get started and have some fun with this creative process! 🌸🧵

I don't have strict rules when it comes to embroidery. I fearlessly use all kinds of threads within the same embroidery project. What truly matters to me is achieving the desired effect and texture, regardless of whether I'm embroidering flowers, butterflies, or leaves.

I won't be unfair to myself; in fact, I find myself quite skilled in regular knitting, and I'm passionate about it. Particularly, my fascination with creating colorful patterned sweaters has led to my home being filled with an abundance of vibrant knitting yarns over time.

With such a diverse array of colors at my disposal, it seems illogical to spend a fortune on specialized embroidery threads for my newfound passion for embroidery. Many knitting yarns are made by loosely combining 4, 5, or 6 strands of thread, and this is why I often opt for amigurumi threads in embroidery. Their color variety and ability to work with the desired fineness are crucial factors for me.

My sister also used these knitting yarns to craft the crocheted pansies. For the tiny flowers, a single strand of amigurumi yarn proved sufficient. Their delicacy perfectly complemented my 3D embroidery project, adding a touch of charm to the overall composition.
I have three different colored crocheted pansies, and each pansy features only two colors - a darker shade for the upper petals and a lighter tone for the three front crown petals.
 Now, I will create face-like lines on the three front petals using simple straight stitches.

Of course, I won't refer to this as "Thread Painting" :) Instead, I'm aiming for a simple color transition.

 Starting with the pansy featuring purple top petals and lilac-toned front petals, I thread my needle with fine white thread and create straight stitches along the centers of the three crown petals.
 Careful not to get too close to the center of the pansy, I use long and short stitches to smoothly transition the colors, gently curving the stitches to match the shape of the petals.

 This technique creates an effect akin to painting the centers of the petals with stitches, as seen in the image
Now, I thread my needle with a fine black thread and continue with the process. 
I work on the areas near the center of the petals, making long and short straight stitches that stop towards the center, overlapping some of the white stitches I made earlier.
 You might be familiar with the characteristic lines of pansies. I'm trying to recreate them through my stitching.
Lastly, I add a French knot to the center of the flower using a yellow thread. I believe my pansy's face is complete now. 
I stitched the pink and yellow pansies using the same method, using threads that match their respective colors. And there you have it, the final appearance of my three pansies!
 For those who may not have an embroidery hoop at hand for working with small pieces of fabric,
 I have a solution! 
In a previous brooch project, I showed you how to make a homemade wire hoop. Now, I'm utilizing the same wire hoop to hold my fabric in place.
Using a thick and strong thread, I meticulously stitch the fabric's edges to the hoop, 
ensuring it is tightly and securely fastened.

In my design, there will be three pansies in a pot. I have a three-dimensional, stitchable embroidery object shaped like a pot, which I'll attach to the fabric later on. 
Instead of stitching the pot immediately, I leave an empty area on the fabric to represent where it will be placed.
 Then, I use the whipped backstitch technique to create the stems, giving the illusion that they emerge from inside the pot and extend upwards with widening intervals.
As shown in the image, I carefully attach the pink pansy to the central stem using the same thread I used for the stems. 
With this thread, I securely sew the pansy to the fabric, creating concealed stitches from underneath, so that the top part of the pansy remains unaffected

 As you can follow from the pictures, I proceed to attach the other pansies in their appropriate places on the fabric.
 Carefully sewing each pansy to the fabric, I ensure they are positioned precisely as desired.


"I am continuing by adding a lilac crocheted bud between the pink and purple pansies. Since I don't have crocheted sepal leaves, I decide to make small picot stitch leaves, which surprisingly complement the crocheted work perfectly."

Next, I am attaching my sister's crocheted leaves around the pansies on the fabric, creating a lovely composition. 
I securely stitch the base of the leaves to the fabric while leaving their tips free, which adds a delightful 3D effect to the embroidery. 
I fill the stems with leaves, and to add a touch of color variation, I include a yellow pansy bud on the other side.
 It's time to incorporate my 3D plant pot-shaped object into the design. 
As you can see in the picture, there are small holes along the edges of the pot, which will allow me to attach it to the fabric with stitches.
 I thread my needle with a coffee-colored thread and easily pass it through the holes in the pot, going under the fabric to secure the thread, then coming back up to attach it to the edge of the pot, and again going under the fabric to anchor it securely. 
I repeat this process for each corner, ensuring the fabric is nicely secured to the pot.


 I position the top part of my pot button to cover the lower parts of the stems of the flower bouquet I created. Once the pot is stitched in place, I make additional additions to blend it with the background fabric.
 To create the appearance of soil, I'm making French knots along the bottom of the pot. 
 Now, I use a thin green thread to make vertical stitches resembling grass. By adding slanted stitches at various angles, I create the illusion that the pot is sitting on a bed of greenery.

After removing the fabric from the hoop, my brooch takes shape with these final touches.
 Now, the pot with the pansies appears to be sitting on a lush green surface. I'm quite pleased with the outcome of my project!


 To maintain the shape of my brooch, I need a bit of firmness in the center.
 Following a technique I used in a previous brooch project, I cut a piece of plastic from a yogurt container lid, which I will use as support inside the brooch.
I will place the fabric with the embroidered flowers over this plastic piece and secure it by stitching around it. This will prevent the brooch from wrinkling and losing its shape over time.
To create an oval shape for my brooch, I take the oval template drawn on paper and place it onto the yogurt container lid.
 I trace the shape onto the lid and then cut along the traced line to get the desired oval piece. Surprisingly, these plastic lids are easily cut with scissors. 
After cutting, I make holes along the edges of the plastic piece.


Using the same oval template, I cut an oval shape from the fabric, leaving about 0.5 cm seam allowance.
 Then, I create a running stitch with a sturdy thread along the edge of the fabric.  Next, I place the plastic oval piece on the backside of the design, and gently pull the thread to gather the fabric edges together around the plastic oval. 
The fabric edges are gathered and neatly tucked behind the plastic oval without actually stitching the fabric to the plastic.
  Once I'm satisfied with the placement, I secure the gathered fabric edges by stitching them together with a needle and thread.
 This ensures a clean and secure finish while keeping the fabric stretched over the plastic piece.  You can see how I do this in the pictures.

Now that I've finished the front of my brooch, I can move on to the middle section. 
I'm getting a 2mm thick cream-colored felt fabric for this part. I trace the shape of my second oval template onto the felt and cut it out along the lines. 
The second oval template is about half a centimeter wider than the first one.

I want to add a cute crochet edging to embellish my felt piece. So, I reach out to my sister once again and ask her to create a beautiful lace trim along the edge of my oval felt piece. 

To match the overall look, she uses the same green thread I used in my embroidery. The delicate crochet trim complements the felt perfectly, adding an elegant touch to the design

The lace-edged felt piece will be very useful. I'm excited to show you how I'll put it to use!

 Now, I'm carefully placing the embroidered front piece onto the lace-edged felt. The lace trim gracefully wraps around the edges of the embroidered front, creating a charming appearance. 
Once I'm certain it's perfectly positioned, I secure the front to the felt using hidden stitches along the edges.
Do you remember how I had made small holes around the edges of the plastic backing, hidden within the front piece?
 Well, now I pass my needle through these holes to create a contour running along the edges of the front piece.
 This running stitch not only adds a decorative touch but also firmly attaches the front to the felt piece.

I finally finished the front of my brooch.


I'm currently working on the back piece of my brooch. Using a vibrant shade of green felt and the first oval template, I carefully cut out an oval-shaped piece. It will be the same size as the front piece.

To transform it into a functional brooch, I've opted for a safety pin. First, I take a small crocheted square and use it to secure the safety pin firmly onto the felt. I position the safety pin so that its opening and closing end remain accessible, and then press its back part onto the felt.

Next, I place the crocheted piece over it, ensuring it is perfectly aligned at the center. Using thread in the same color, I neatly sew the crocheted piece onto the felt along its edges. This securely fixes the safety pin between the two layers of the felt, allowing it to open and close freely without any obstructions. Now, it will serve as the ideal brooch pin, completing the functionality of my brooch.



Now, it's time for the final touches.
 I take the back piece and place it behind the lace-edged cream felt piece. The same lace trim now surrounds my green felt, creating a beautiful contrast.  
Using a blanket stitch, I sew the back piece along the edges to attach it to the middle piece (cream felt).

 The middle piece elegantly brings the front and back pieces together, giving my brooch a seamless finish.
 My brooch is finally complete, and I couldn't be happier with the result! That's all for now! I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and find it helpful. 
Sharing this beauty-filled craft project with you has been a delightful experience. 
My main goal is to inspire your creativity, so don't hesitate to try your own unique variations.  

 I have a few more tutorials on making brooches. If you'd like to see them, you can follow the links below.






By the way, have you seen my Youtube channel? 
I've uploaded many fun 3D embroidery tutorials. I'd be thrilled if you could visit and join me in this creative journey. Your support means the world to me! See you there, and happy crafting!







Quotes-Inspired Hoop Art Ideas with Felt Appliques, Embroidery, and Crocheted Flowers

Explore 3D embroidery flower garden designs.

Bring your dream garden to life in your embroidery projects with simple and easy embroidery patterns!



➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠