Learn to Create Fan-Shaped Petals with Needle Weaving Technique

 

  If you have had a chance to explore the content I have shared on my YouTube channel and blog, you may have noticed my curiosity about achieving different effects in three-dimensional embroidery projects.

 While experimenting with classic embroidery techniques in more accessible and creative ways, I often come across unexpected and highly practical methods, along with simple approaches. Sharing these small discoveries with you all, in fact, becomes the most enjoyable aspect of my work.

 You must have noticed that I frequently employ the woven picot stitch technique in my works. 


This technique creates petals that are attached to the fabric at the base but have free ends, resulting in a beautiful three-dimensional effect in embroidery. However, what slightly saddens me is that this technique is mostly suitable for creating pointed flower petals. 

Especially when attempting to bring to life broader-leaved flowers like wild roses or poppies in my three-dimensional embroidery projects, I found myself wondering about how to craft fan-shaped crown petals. A needle-woven, fan-shaped crown petal similar to picot stitch would truly shine in a three-dimensional embroidery project.

The traditional Indian embroidery technique known as Kadai stitching has captivated me with its ability to weave among a multitude of warp threads.
 During my online explorations, I came across Kadai stitching applications that are often associated with surface embroidery. 
However, I also stumbled upon Kadai stitching variations that involve securing warp threads to pins, bearing resemblance to the picot stitch. 

Although primarily designed for creating pointed petals, this technique seems to hold promise for crafting the fan-shaped petals I envision.

One notable challenge in this method was the use of a considerable number of pins.. Realizing that I needed to make this process safer – since I often found myself pricked by the sharp ends – I decided to make it more secure by using tiny golden safety pins instead of regular pins.


I began the process of creating my fan-shaped petal. For this, I will be using 7 safety pins. First, I marked the points where I will insert the ends of the pins on my fabric.

 Then, I'm attaching the safety pins to the fabric. 
The safety pins will remain on the backside of my fabric; only about 5-6 mm of them will be visible on the front, and they will serve the purpose of allowing me to secure my warp threads by passing them through these pins.

The second challenge I encountered while using the Kadai stitch technique was the time it took to secure a multitude of warp threads to the fabric.

 To overcome this hurdle, I devised an alternative approach. Instead of attaching each warp thread directly to the fabric, I opted to create a long horizontal stitch and attach the warp threads to it.

This method significantly streamlined the process and proved to be quite advantageous. 
Now, I begin by crafting a long horizontal stitch at the base of the petal, spanning approximately 1 - 1.5 cm in length.

As you can also observe in the images, I bring my needle and thread to the front side from a point on the left side of the wide stitch. 

Afterward, I guide my needle upwards, passing it beneath the wire of the first safety pin and pulling the thread through to the end. 
Then, in the next step, I direct my needle downwards, threading it under the wide stitch and pulling the thread taut. Once again, I move upwards. 
 This time, I pass my needle beneath the wire of the second safety pin. 
As shown in the image, I repeat these same steps for all the safety pins, attaching my thread in sequence.


At this point, I have successfully generated 14 warp threads – with one end affixed to the wide stitch at the foundation, while the other ends are securely fastened to the upper safety pins.

 With my warp threads ready, I can proceed to the weaving process. Just as depicted in the image, I initiate the weaving from the lower right corner.

My weaving direction will be opposite to the picot stitch technique, going from the base upwards. It's always advisable to start weaving from the denser areas between the warp threads.
As you move upwards, the spacing between the warp threads widens, allowing for a smoother weaving process.
At last, my weaving journey has come to an end. Now, I must address the excess thread that lingers from the weaving process.
To do this, I position my needle at the upper right corner of the woven petal. With precision, I guide the needle's tip through the gaps between the weft threads, moving from the top to the bottom. Subsequently, I guide the needle downward towards the base of the woven petal.
 As I do this, I gently pull the entire length of the thread downward, ensuring that the upper portion maintains its neat appearance.

Next, I bring the needle and thread to the back of the fabric. On the backside, I secure the thread by stitching through the fabric. 

In the meantime, I am removing the tiny safety pins that were holding my warp threads in place. Now, the tips of my petal are finally free.

Here's my needle-woven fan-shaped petal, a result of my weaving endeavor, now poised to enhance your three-dimensional embroidery projects with its artistic touch.

 You can now use this technique to bring to life various wide-petaled flowers such as roses, poppies, and many others in three-dimensional embroidery.
Here is a short video demonstrating the application of this technique.



Additionally, you must see my unique approach to creating standalone needle-woven petals – these will greatly simplify your 3D embroidery. 

Here are a couple of tutorial videos from my YouTube channel where I showcase this technique."




Quotes-Inspired Hoop Art Ideas with Felt Appliques, Embroidery, and Crocheted Flowers

Explore 3D embroidery flower garden designs.

Bring your dream garden to life in your embroidery projects with simple and easy embroidery patterns!



➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠➠